3 January 2007
Here it is. The first post of the year that everyone expects to see. It’s the post where I check how I did against last year’s New Year resolutions and list my new ones for this year...
Around this time one year ago I said:
I don’t really make New Year’s resolutions, mainly because I’m totally incapable of keeping them. Previous years have seen me try to stop biting my nails (several times) and give up kebabs (which is actually impossible). This year, however, I’m going to try and do a couple of things: chew my food more thoroughly and post to my blog more frequently.
So how did I do? Well, as if by magic, I’ve (almost) managed to stop biting my nails and I’ve hardly eaten any kebabs this year. But what about the things I actually said I’d try to do in 2006? Well, I’m sure I chew my food a bit more than I used to, although it’s probably still not good enough. And I’ve definitely posted to my blog more, with 65 posts in 2006 compared to 25 in 2005. Easy peasy!
Right then. What challenges do I have planned for this year? Here’s my list of resolutions and a rough indication of how likely I am to achieve each one:
- Run the Sheffield Half Marathon (99%)
- Try to look smarter at work – i.e. wear shirts, proper shoes, do something with my hair, etc. (95%)
- Eat evening meals at the table rather than in front of the TV (90%)
- Play guitar for at least one hour every week (85%)
- Give blood more regularly, ideally every 16 weeks (80%)
- Only go on my PC if I’ve got something I actually need to do, rather than sit browsing the Internet moaning about how boring it is (50%)
- Play my trumpet every once in a while (30%)
- Get an allotment to grow my own vegetables (20%)
- Volunteer my services to the local amateur theatrical society (10%)
- Come up with an idea for a website that will make me rich (1%)
And if I’ve told any of you about more resolutions which aren’t listed, let me know because I’m sure I’ve told people other ones that aren’t listed here...
Don’t forget to come back in a year to find out how I got on!
Update: 4 January 2007 (13:34)
Just thought of one I’d forgotten:
- Watch more live bands (75%)